The liver helps in breaking down and storing nutrients produces clotting factors, and metabolizes alcohol, drugs, and toxins.
Liver tumors are abnormal growths in the liver. Benign tumors can cause health problems and Malignant tumors in the liver can spread to nearby tissue or other parts of the body. There are various liver tumors and liver cancer types.
A)Benign Liver Tumors/ Non- Cancerous Tumors
1. Hemangiomas are benign formations resulting from an abnormal aggregation of blood vessels.
2. Liver cysts are fluid-filled sacs that are typically asymptomatic and do not necessitate treatment unless they become large and cause discomfort.
3. Adenoma is a benign tumor that originates in tissues such as the skin or glands.
4. Focal nodules are benign liver tumors that predominantly affect women aged 20 to 30.
B) Malignant Tumors/ Cancerous Tumors
1. Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is a common liver cancer that mainly affects older males.
2. Cholangiocarcinoma is an uncommon malignancy that impacts the biliary ducts.
3. Gallbladder carcinoma is an uncommon form of cancer originating in the gallbladder.
4. Hepatoblastoma is a liver tumor mainly found in children under five, but can also occur in older children and adults.
Major Causes of Liver tumors are:-
1. Genetic disorders likeFatty liver disease, hemochromatosis, and alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency
2. Type 2 diabetes
3. Hepatitis B and C
4. Alcohol consumption.
6. Tobacco smoking.
7. Chemical exposure.
Liver cancer may be difficult to treat but Dr. Srikanth Gaidyaram, an experienced gastroenterologist in Bangalore, will evaluate and explain your treatment options, depending on tumor type, location, its spread, and your health.
Detecting early liver cancer allows for surgical removal as a treatment option.
Liver surgery removes part or all of the liver. A liver transplant is needed when the recipient’s liver is completely removed.
Postoperative recovery for liver cancer treatment is lengthy.
Chemotherapy is a treatment that uses drugs to kill or slow down cancer growth. It uses medications to eliminate cancerous cells
Chemoembolization is used to shrink tumors and manage symptoms.
This procedure is used when surgery is not possible due to severe illness or when the cancer cannot be removed.
It is a technique involving the application of heat to eliminate cancer cells.
It uses electric current or microwaves to destroy cancer.
It refers to drugs that interact with specific targets in the body and inhibit cancer cell proliferation
It can be used for liver cancer treatment if surgery is not possible due to severe illness inoperable cancer or cancer has spread to another site.
Utilizes high-energy radiation to specifically target and eliminate cancer cells
Radioactive beads are used to treat liver cancer.
SIRT may be used to treat liver cancer in adults if surgery is not possible and the liver damage is minimal.
Dr. Srikanth Gadiyaram and his team will explain the side effects and benefits of each treatment plan., Check for side effects and even Assist in developing the optimal plan for you.
To learn about liver cancer symptoms and treatment options, please schedule an appointment by calling Sahasra Hospital at 8880837000 or 9880105829.