Image legend: TC is the colon(large intestine); GB gallbladder; D1 and D2 are the duodenal first and second parts. The TC is densely stuck to the gallbladder.
Laparoscopic gallbladder surgery
Laparoscopic gallbladder surgery may be complicated in some patients because of dense inseparable adhesions in some patients. The surgeon may not be able to safely separate the adjacent organs from the gallbladder and there is a risk of injuring them. Colonic or duodenal injuries are serious complications that one would like to avoid.
When standard dissection methods of separation of adhesions fail in such “obscure gallbladders”, the “Laparoscopic D2 first approach could be employed to expose the hidden gallbladder. This technique would also be helpful in a second operation where previous gallbladder surgery was complicated by remnant gallbladder with symptoms.
- Dr. Srikanth Gadiyaram explained that it is a technique that follows the surgical principle of “work from the virgin area first and reach the difficult area last”. His team has employed this technique successfully in many difficult cases and patients benefit from laparoscopic completion of the operation and quick recovery that would have otherwise required an open operation. This new technique was published in an international peer-reviewed journal last year (DOI: 10.14701/ahbps.2021.25.4.523).
Dr. Srikanth Gadiyaram is a renowned surgical gastroenterologist in Bangalore. He is an advanced laparoscopic and robotic surgeon with over two decades of experience and over 12,000 surgeries. He has done pioneering work in fluorescence guidance gallbladder surgery and has related publications in international peer-reviewed journals. Visit him for the best Laparoscopic Gallstone Surgery in Jayanagar.
- DOI: 10.1111/ases.13165
- DOI: 10.1097/MD.0000000000031170
- DOI: 10.1097/SLE.0b013e31822cb8a0
- DOI: 10.4103/jmas.jmas_314_21
- DOI: 10.14701/ahbps.2021.25.4.523
- DOI: 10.1007/s11605-023-05663-3
- DOI: 10.1007/s00534-003-0866-3
- DOI: 10.1111/j.1440-1746.2004.03528.x
Dr. Srikanth Gadiyaram is currently the Director and Chief surgical gastroenterologist at Sahasra Hospitals, Jayanagar, Bangalore. Visit him today. He gives the best Laparoscopic Gallstone Surgery in Bangalore.
Click below to know your surgeon